Thursday, November 09, 2006

Trains, Planes, & Automobiles...

are not the list of my modes of transportation.

The list would instead comprise buses, the metra, trains, and the occassional taxi (when the buses have shut down for the evening).

Heidi and I have chosen to go without a car for a few reasons, but efficiency probably was not one of them!

Example: Yesterday, was my day to do laundry at the rehab. center. Total travel time by car from my home to the center and then back again is 40 minutes. Total travel time by public transportation from home to the center and then back again was 4 1/2 hours. :)

Things to keep in mind:
-Timing is EVERYTHING.
-Know which way you need to be heading when boarding the train...mmm.
-Always carry your English/Portuguese dictionary along to help inquire about directions.
-Have an interesting book to read as you wait at each transfer point. (Though not too interesting that you miss your train...mmm)


Yesterday was one of those days that I ended thankful that tomorrow would bring a new day!:)

BTW: As much as traveling by public transportation has slowed my life down even more it has been a blessing. Already in the last week its allowed me to meet two students, Fred and Bruno! So I hope I do not sound as if I am complaining.

2 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well...directions weren't always your strong point. :)

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and happy new year for you and your family. enjoy your life being closed to God!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home