Monday, October 9th, 2006

Greetings from Enghedi! I picked a rose for you from our garden! I wanted to introduce you to who you might stumble upon during a visit here at our house.

Sr. Silva and Dona Inacia are our landlords and an amazing couple. They are always out and about tending to their garden, cleaning the chicken coop, working in their back kitchen, and visiting with their neighbors. They spoil us by constantly giving us fruits and vegetables they have grown. Our conversations are animated since they do not know English and I am just starting to learn Portuguese. I have started writing out statements on paper before going to speak with them, but I must not be the best on my delivery, because most of the time they end up taking the paper and reading it themselves!:)
Top Right: I get the KFC song stuck in my head every time I pass these ladies! We've got 21 chickens waiting to fatten up and eat, and two for laying eggs!
Bottom Left: This passaro lives on our back patio under the grape vines.
Bottom Right: Snails are all over the garden with a few making their way into our home.

I signed up to meet with Eunice every Monday afternoon for two hours to help supplement the two evening Portuguese classes. Eunice has been teaching Portuguese for 16 years. She has had 250 former students come through her doors, who today are serving with different mission organizations in a variety of countries! She's been helpful already and I leave her always feeling like I actually "get it" whereas my Portuguese classes have left me leaving feeling "lost."
Yay for Eunice!

I finished my day by heading to a favorite location for many living in our area, the Loures Shopping Mall. The building itself is very modern in design, and compared to the rest of the area, looks very out of place. It has a variety of stores, food court, and movie theater. There is a large grocery store, called Continent, that I do my bulk shopping at. Heidi and I picked up a few items at Continent and then met Kris Knowles, a new career missionary for GEM, for dinner.
Adeus!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home