Saturday, October 07, 2006

Saturday, October 7th, 2006

The coastline of Caiscais


This morning I hopped into the car and headed out of the Lisbon area to the coastline of Caiscais. I met up with Linda Landers (Ron & Linda Landers are the missionary couple I am working under) for a few hours. We walked through a market along the coast looking at a variety of pottery and linens being sold. We went out for coffee afterwards and enjoyed the ocean view and one another's company!
College & Career Group at the Fairbanks home!

Ron and Dalia Fairbanks are missionaries here in Portugal with GEM.
They are involved with church ministry with a specific focus on couple's ministries. This year they have also committed to taking on the responsibility of the college and career age group at the church. Tonight was the kick-off to the group and Heidi cooked up a great chicken and salsa casserole for the "Canadian dinner." (Sidenote: In Portugal a "pot-luck" is called a "Canadian dinner) About twenty people in total came tonight. Heidi and I have agreed to help, though I think we'll benefit the most as we are desiring to learn Portuguese! Already tonight during the meal, I had three tutors having me repeat different Portuguese words in an attempt to improve my horrible pronounciation. Do you ever have those moments when you are the cause of laughter and you really do not mean to be funny...:)?


Carolina, the Bite The Bag winner!!

Dalia had asked us to come up with a few games for the group to play. What I have found is that most of the young people here in Portugal do not play games but spend social occassions going out to get drinks or something to eat. So for those of you in CA, and especially Ingrid Espe, you'll appreciate the fact that the game, "Bite the bag" was introduced.:) It involves brave, flexible, and non-germophobic volunteers who all attempt to bend over on one leg to pick up a bag with their mouths (without falling over). After each successful turn, the brown bag is cut even lower. Makes for a few good chuckles as people attempt this feat. Carolina proved to be our winner tonight.
We will be meeting every third week for a time of fellowship, study, and prayer with occasional activities planned in addition. One thing I noticed tonight about the group is how much they enjoyed being together. During the discussion of goals for the group this year this was made even more evident as a few individuals stressed their desire to grow together, and in their relationship with the Lord.
Just a neat group of individuals that I am eager to get to live life with!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home