Monday, September 25, 2006

Queen Andreia


I realize I haven't shared too much about my roommate Andreia. That is probably due to the fact we are on different schedules. When we do have time together, like our weekend trip to her home, I am reminded how much of a blessing she is! She's been great at clueing us in to Portuguese culture!

Her home is 2 1/2 hours north of Lisbon, just outside Coimbra. As we drove north, the landscape became more hilly and mountainous!


Andreia was a great host and took us hiking and exploring around her area. The highlight of our time was spending it with her family! Her mom made sure to feed us well with a variety of Portuguese meals ranging from fish, pork, goat, rice and beans to name just a few! We also visited every coffee shop in town, or so it seemed. I wonder if they are still trying to convert me into becoming a coffee drinker?


Favorite shot of the trip!



On the way out of one of the town's we visited we got caught up in this procession honoring St. Mary. Andreia shared that many of the small towns adopt a saint that they honor one day out of the year. The town celebration can last a few days with activities including Mass, parades, and a festival with food and folk dancing.

I had the opportunity of visiting the church that Andreia grew up in. It is the same denomination I grew up in known as the Brethren. It was neat to see the similarities and differences between ours. It was a nice morning of worship together and afterwards her mom had some of the group over for lunch. I enjoyed it much!



It was great to experience "family" life again and get to know Andreia better. During that weekend we knicknamed her Queen Andreia and I think she's taken to it!:)
Ha,ha,ha.

1 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was really nice to have you guys there with me and my family. it was was also good to be able to get tp know you guys a litle bit better. by the way i think Queen it's the perfect nickname for me;D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home