Wow- what a Wedding!
I had the privilege of being present for the wedding of my cousin Barbara to Hans Peter. It was a fascinating day as I learned and experienced an Austrian wedding.
The day's festivities began at around 11 am when friends and family of the bride gathered in front of her house. We were assembled in a line with the band in lead as we started off to fetch the groom. Arriving in the groom's town, we picked him up along with his side of the family. Again, we assembled into a line which had grown in size and headed back to the bride's home and town.
Upon reaching the bride's home, the guests sat down to appetizers and drinks while the groom knocked on the door to ask for his bride. The bride's family said there was no bride in the house. When the groom insisted, they brought an older woman to the door as his bride. He said she was older than his bride and again asked for his bride. At this point they were supposed to bring a "younger girl" to the door but for some reason they changed the tradition and offered their American cousin instead...me. I fluttered my eyelashes as much as possible but he said I had the wrong dress on.:) At that point, the bride was presented much to the groom's satisfaction! The bride and groom, along with their family members presented themselves to the wedding party outside. What happened next? Well, first we got in our line and from there headed to city hall!
At city hall they signed their marriage license and toasted the occassion. By the way, there have been many toasts by this time...this wasn't the first:). After our stop at city hall we headed out in a line through the town. Townspeople gathered and watched the wedding festivities.
The service at the church consisted of the priest saying Mass, my cousins reading some texts, and the choir singing a number of songs. The music and their voices were beautiful! After the ceremony everyone gathered outside the church for more appetizers and drinks.
At this point, pictures were taken at the park nearby. The top left picture is the bride and groom with their parents. I'm with my Oma and the bottom right picture is my Aunt and Uncle. Oh, the rosemary sprig on my dress is to identify who is single or married. Mine is on the leftside identifying I am single whereas my Uncle has his on his right side!
At this point everyone was eager to head to the reception hall. As we were driving out of the town, traffic was suddenly brought to a stop. I was wanting to wait it out but everyone was getting out of their car as if they anticipated this. Walking towards the outskirts of town I had to chuckle by what I saw...a bulldozer was blocking the road out of town. On the shovel was a vase of red roses with two champagne glasses. The band was playing and the bride and groom were dancing in the middle of the road. O my! I loved it... I learned that in times past, the young people of the bride's town would block the road not allowing the wedding party to pass until a "tax" was payed. The youth would then get drinks of their own.:) For this occassion though, the bulldozer was removed and each car was allowed passage only after the passengers in the car had a swig of wine or a shot of schnapps. When we arrived at the reception hall, my cousin (the bride's brother) gave a speech and dancing started soon after we arrived.
A little before midnight the young people kidnapped the bride and groom. The men took the bride and the ladies took the groom. Each toasted the bride and groom and made it festive with songs. After the bride and groom were retrieved, the wedding guests made a dance circle around them. Each person paid to dance with the bride and groom. In times past this money was set aside to pay for the band. After midnight, another tradition is that the bride and groom now had to "work" for their money. A broom and dustpan were given to them and they swept up coins that the guests threw on the floor for them.:)
At this point everyone was eager to head to the reception hall. As we were driving out of the town, traffic was suddenly brought to a stop. I was wanting to wait it out but everyone was getting out of their car as if they anticipated this. Walking towards the outskirts of town I had to chuckle by what I saw...a bulldozer was blocking the road out of town. On the shovel was a vase of red roses with two champagne glasses. The band was playing and the bride and groom were dancing in the middle of the road. O my! I loved it... I learned that in times past, the young people of the bride's town would block the road not allowing the wedding party to pass until a "tax" was payed. The youth would then get drinks of their own.:) For this occassion though, the bulldozer was removed and each car was allowed passage only after the passengers in the car had a swig of wine or a shot of schnapps. When we arrived at the reception hall, my cousin (the bride's brother) gave a speech and dancing started soon after we arrived.Second course (a few hours later): Schnitzel, all different types of salads, potatoes
The band not only played music but provided games and skits. The different cakes were amazing not only in presentation but taste!
A little before midnight the young people kidnapped the bride and groom. The men took the bride and the ladies took the groom. Each toasted the bride and groom and made it festive with songs. After the bride and groom were retrieved, the wedding guests made a dance circle around them. Each person paid to dance with the bride and groom. In times past this money was set aside to pay for the band. After midnight, another tradition is that the bride and groom now had to "work" for their money. A broom and dustpan were given to them and they swept up coins that the guests threw on the floor for them.:) Third Course: Around midnight, Gulosh was served since the wedding party was just getting going. Being the party animal I am, I left "early" at 3:30am :) and my family returned home around 7:30 am. The bride and groom did not leave until 10am.
Man, in the U.S. it seems weddings are planned with the thought of how "quick" it can be accomplished. Not here. It is a full day's affair!
It was a fascinating experience. Mmm, what parts of these traditions could I incorporate in an American-Austrian style wedding?!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home